21 November 2008

Photobucket
photo by hibisanpo


Your love is different from mine. What I mean is, when you close your eyes, for that moment, the center of the universe comes to reside withing you. And you become a small figure within that vastness, which spreads without limit behind you, and continues to expand at tremendous speed, to engulf all of my past, even before I was born, and every word I've ever written, and each view I've seen, and all the constellations, and the darkness of outer space that surrounds the small blue ball that is earth. Then, when you open your eyes, all that disappears. I anticipate the next time you are troubled and must close your eyes. The way we think may be completely different, but you and I are an ancient, archetypal couple, the original man and woman. We are the model for Adam and Eve. For all couples in love, there comes a moment when a man gazes at a woman with the very same kind of realization. It is an infinite helix, the dance of two souls resonating, like the twist of DNA, like the vast universe. Oddly, at that moment, she looked over and smiled. As if in response to what I'd been thinking, she said, "That was beautiful. I'll never forget it."

- A favorite excerpt from Lizard by Banana Yoshimoto

No comments: